An exciting opportunity to join Kyero as a Ruby Developer, playing a vital role in assisting and implementing the future vision of our innovative international real estate platform.
Title: Experienced/Midweight Ruby Developer
Terms: Full Time / Flexible working
Location: Fully Remote (time zones UTC-1 to UTC+3)
We have an exciting new role for a skilled, analytical and results-driven Ruby Developer to join the experienced Kyero engineering team. You will be focused on improving and maintaining our bespoke international real estate platform and improving and modernising our current back-end application performance and processes.
You will work within a multi-disciplined, global and agile team and will be responsible for designing, building and maintaining the server-side web application and writing web services and APIs used by front-end developers.
Our back-end developers have an immediate effect on our business success, as well as the success of our clients and our innovative & inclusive culture gives you a real opportunity to make a difference and play a key role in our growth as a company.
Read on for our story & what we’re hoping you can bring. If this sounds like a good fit, we’d love to hear from you!
Kyero helps people from all over the world to find their sunshine. We make it easier for international property buyers to achieve their dreams.
Many of us have moved countries so we know the joy of finding the place you want to call home. We also know the highs and lows involved in making that happen. Our founders, Louise and Martin, started Kyero based on the lessons they learned when they bought land in their favourite part of Spain. They harnessed what they learnt to create a company dedicated to helping people move from dreaming about sunshine to living in it.
We are an international team of 40 fully remote people located across 7 countries, combining Marketing, Sales, Customer Services, Design, Development, Data, Finance and Admin. All of us are truly passionate about the vision and purpose of Kyero.
This has been a defining time for Kyero, evolving our proposition to test new commercial models, improve the user experience and explore new ways of working and we feel stronger than ever.
We are using business as a force for good. In 2018 we became a business with negative carbon emissions.
And given our commitment to helping people find a place they can call home, we allocate 1% of our annual revenue to Spanish homeless charity Hogar Si Foundation RAIS. We are also actively exploring how we can make a move to become B Corp certified and Employee Owned in the years ahead.
And we’re only just getting started… with a clear vision, strong leadership and expertise across the team, we’re more ambitious than ever and have the perfect recipe for continued growth!
Our Mission & Values
To help people find their sunshine with confidence. We’re focused on building trust & adding magic to the experience of finding a property abroad, and our fully remote international team brings passion, knowledge & expertise. We’re committed to doing the right thing for people and the planet.
These are the values we live by:
Know our customers, no assumptions.
You can with Kyero.
Explore what’s possible, never settle.
Real Deal, what you see is what you get.
One team, together we go further.
What You Will Bring…
As a versatile, self-motivated and experienced engineer you will use your understanding of programming languages and tools to ensure coding discipline and standards are met, adhere to our development strategy, develop code in accordance with our development policies, standards and lifecycle, formulate more efficient processes, solve problems, and should be focused on building a better, more efficient program and creating a better end-user experience.
You have worked previously as part of a team, supporting business needs and have collaborated on the development of sizable applications. You should be comfortable working alongside and collaborating with a remote team as well as independently and confident working in an Agile/ Scrum development environment and be familiar with issue management systems, such as JIRA and Confluence.
- You’re a Midweight Ruby Developer, with development experience and a history of working in the software development industry.
- You are programming language agnostic (but you have your preferences).
- You have some knowledge of design patterns and when to apply them.
- You have solid OOP and software design knowledge.
- You have an appreciation of what it can take to run and scale a high throughput production site and the importance of robust code.
- You have a good understanding of accessibility and server compliance.
- You're pragmatic on your job, you love to optimise for performance but you understand the cost-benefit of a solution.
- You can write tests, know that pairing and code reviewing is about ensuring stuff works properly, and is a way to ensure quality and shared knowledge.
- You are comfortable and productive working 100% remotely.
- You have some knowledge of how to work with Amazon web services (AWS) and hosting services such as Heroku.
Your Main Responsibilities
- Working closely with our development team to develop new back-end website applications.
- Maintaining and troubleshooting existing back-end website applications.
- Writing and maintaining reliable Ruby code.
- Creating servers and databases for functionality.
- Integrating data storage solutions.
- Creating back-end components.
- Developing and maintaining APIs.
- Identifying and fixing bottlenecks and bugs.
- Connecting applications with additional web servers.
- Working in a team through a project from conception to finished product.
- Write clean, optimised code with test coverage to meet both technical and consumer needs.
- Pair programming with other developers on the team
- At least 3 years working experience as a software engineer
- Good knowledge and experience working with Ruby on Rails, with the ability to write clean and well tested code.
- Proficiency with code versioning tools such as Git, Github and CodeCommit
- Knowledge of database technology such as SQL and NoSQL.
- Experience with MVC, Mocking, RESTful, and ORM.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and attention to details
- You live in Europe in a time zone between UTC-1 and UTC+3.
- You're a team player, you know when to ask for help and to give help, you listen to others and you give advice.
- Excellent salary & benefits.
- Autonomy and flexible remote working.
- 38 days of holiday including public holidays.
- Personal coaching through More Happi
- Performance-related bonus.
- Bi-annual international team meet ups.
- The business and the team are ready for this next step in its evolution – this is a new role, in an established and profitable international business with strong growth ambitions. You can really make a difference with this one.
This offer reflects UK employment & terms will vary for international contractors.
Does this sound like a good fit for you? We’d love to hear from you! Please get in touch and let us know why this could be the right opportunity for you.
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and include "Midweight Ruby Developer" in the title.
Please also include:
- Your CV
- A few words explaining why you think you'd be a good fit for Kyero
Direct applicants only please - we won’t respond to agencies.