As a Ruby on Rails Developer, you will work on various projects, both new and existing, for our clients. You will have the opportunity to learn about different industries and create software to help our clients grow their businesses while creating lasting relationships. Additionally, you will partner with the engineering team to continuously build and improve technology products. You will report directly to the Director of Engineering at Pathos Ethos.
About Pathos Ethos
Pathos Ethos is a digital venture studio that partners with innovators of every experience level to amplify their potential by providing tools, resources, talent, network, and direct services. We work alongside first-time entrepreneurs, corporate innovation executives, and serial founders, among others, to transform ideas into revenue-generating products.
Culture and Values
There are foundational ideas that unite all hires at Pathos Ethos, regardless of role or team. First, we are all motivated by Compassionate Justice, seeking to bring greater equity to our world both professionally and personally. Second, we value Entrepreneurial Character - as tenacious problem solvers, we push ourselves to find the right resources (knowledge, trade skills, work, funding, etc.) to deliver value to our clients and partners. Finally, we are committed to Teamwork, believing we can provide more value as a team than individually. To that end, we are willing to do the work of always listening to each other first and telling the hard truths to improve one another.
We are looking for an on-site (remote during COVID), full-time Ruby on Rails Developer who will thrive at solving problems for partner innovators. This position will work out of our office near downtown Durham, NC.
This role requires quick (but thorough) strategic decision-making to provide optimal pathways for early-stage SaaS and API products and strong communication skills for working with team members.
Because of this position’s high variation and intensity level, we split traditional skill requirements into loose experience levels. We believe a matching candidate would have:
- Building applications with Ruby on Rails or about 1 -3 years experience
- Clearly communicating verbally and in emails, JIRA tickets, and Slack messages
- Working with combined teams of engineers to achieve significant product goals
- Designing data models from scratch
- Drafting work estimations (macro and micro)
- Collaborating with clients, stakeholders, and decision-makers
- Using Git for source code control
- Writing automated test for Ruby in Rails applications
- Deploying applications to live production environments using Heroku and AWS S3 buckets
- Understanding business problems to offer multiple solutions
- Working under Scrum or Kanban methodologies
- Working in an Apple Mac environment
- Writing HTML and CSS/Sass
- Modern build systems and continuous integration
- Atlassian tools of Jira, Bitbucket, and Confluence
We understand this is an exhaustive list and are open to having conversations with highly motivated candidates who have varying degrees of fit.
Compensation & Benefits
- The salary range for this position is $75,000 - $90,000, depending on experience.
- Health Insurance
- Participation in our flexible work time policies
- Creative, relaxed, professional work environment
- At-Will Vacation Policy
We will request professional references from finalist candidates.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.