As a Senior Ruby Software Engineer, you’ll be part of a team of engineers that builds out the technology that powers our retail brokerage business and supports our other business initiatives. We care about the speed and stability of our back-end systems as much as we care about the customer-facing applications we build. Our architecture is consistently evolving as our business grows and we face different technical challenges, but always with a focus on practicality and performance.You’ll help by modifying existing systems, taking on ownership of current systems as well as green field projects, and troubleshooting issues as they arise. Our engineers work with a plethora of tools, this role will work primarily in Ruby and building APIs.
This role can be 100% remote.
What you’ll do
- Build scalable, reliable and maintainable API services
- Take ownership over several of tastyworks’ core brokerage systems
- Lead by example to uphold high engineering standards
- Provide technical leadership for more junior members of the team
- Conduct constructive and thoughtful code reviews for both more junior engineers as well as for other senior engineers. Your reviews will cover general codecraft, quality of implementation, and overall business domain correctness
- Contribute to scaling existing technology by profiling current architecture and refactoring existing code and / or leveraging new technology within existing systems
- Write comprehensive tests for your code
- Perform infrastructure work as necessary with support from the infrastructure team to support application development projects
Who you are
- Mastery of Ruby on Rails and expertise in building RESTful APIs
- Strong understanding of relational databases and SQL (PostgreSQL is a plus)
- Experience with caching, message queues and background job systems
- Exposure to architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications
- Think about systems and their life cycles, edge cases, interactions, and failure modes
- Learn and dive into the deepest levels of how things work
- Thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- Strong sense of ownership and enjoy working on projects end-to-end
- Write clean, maintainable and well-tested code
- Attention to details and value for quality
- Performance Bonuses
- Subsidized Engineering Training Program
- Stock Purchase Options
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Gym Membership Reimbursement
- Commuter Benefits
- Pet Insurance
- Wellness & Mental Health Programs
- Charitable Donation Matching
- Two Paid Volunteer Days Off
- Daily catered lunch when in the office
- Full kitchen with snacks and beverages
- Dog-friendly office
- In-building gym
- CTA stop a block away, Shuttle to/from Metra
- Office located in the West Loop - Chicago's growing center of tech, great cuisine, and high-end bars
The tastytrade family of companies empowers individual traders differently. Founded in 2011 as an online financial media network, tastytrade, Inc. expanded to include other companies like a brokerage firm (tastyworks in 2017), a research lab (quiet foundation in 2018), and a magazine (luckbox in 2019). In 2021, London-based IG Group acquired tastytrade, Inc. and assigned it to lead business in North America, including two of their own established brands – IG US (RFED) and DailyFX. This combined team has years of experience like institutional brokers but also a passion for disrupting the entire trading industry.
Our dream is simple: we want more people to find more success with a better trading experience. That’s why we’re investing heavily in the right people, technology, and media to make that happen in the US and across the globe.
The diversity of our offerings and the technology that powers them provide our engineers with exposure to a broad set of tools and the opportunity to dig deep into specific problems.
We are an ideal environment for those who are self-motivated, engineering-focused, pragmatic, and who truly enjoy creating and operating large, highly available, and performant systems. Our team is lean at roughly 45 members and we follow a management philosophy that values the autonomy of our engineers.
*Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they have every single qualification. Our team is dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles!