About the Position
As we continue to change the game for GovTech, you will be jumping headfirst into a team of passionate and talented individuals. As the Director of Engineering for the FiscalNote Application team, you will manage a team of full-stack Software Engineers and an augmented staff of contractors, working closely with peers in product, design, and data operations to define and execute an ambitious product roadmap that will challenge your skills as a technology leader. Beyond enhancing and pushing forward the capabilities of our client-facing web application, you will be laying the foundation for the next generation of our product, both in terms of the architectural system and application design.
Additionally, you will develop best practices and processes that prioritize excellence and collaboration across our delivery teams. While you will be primarily responsible for building and managing the web app team, this role will still give you ample opportunity to dive into the tech itself, leveraging your engineering experience while growing the skills of the team you lead.
About Engineering at FiscalNote
Our team has a wealth of diverse life and career experiences that allow us to think outside of the box and ahead of the curve. You'll get the opportunity to work at an institution pushing the boundaries of open data transparency while collaborating with some of the industry’s brightest engineers and data scientists to devise, nurture, and implement cutting-edge solutions to continuously evolving engineering challenges.
Ambitious. Detail-oriented. Thoughtful. Although proud of how far you’ve come in honing your craft, you look forward to constantly growing in your technical abilities. Even more excited to share your skills and experiences, you thrive in collaborative environments in which the free flow of ideas serves as the catalyst for bold results. Feeding off of a highly competent engineering and product development culture, you yearn to contribute to the foundational growth of a company with unlimited growth and market capture potential.
What To Expect in this Position:
- Build and develop a team of full-stack software engineers ranging from junior to senior experience, facilitating their growth and expanding their software development and engineering skills to meet both individual and company goals
- Align engineers working across multiple feature delivery teams with the R&D long-term strategy, and ensure that development practices around CI/CD, testing, and code quality, are standardized across teams.
- Lead teams on a number of projects including containerization and CI/CD actions, developing reusable and modular components, integration and modernization of data pipelines, developing best practices for secure software development and application security, technical-stack modernization to ensure product stability and enterprise integration, and development of new product features while simultaneously eliminating technical debt
- Performance management of 3 engineering teams including coaching and development meetings that help individuals become more dynamic, technology-agnostic engineers
- Foster strong collaboration between peer groups in Engineering including weighing in on technical decisions and direction, and helping to drive alignment among a diverse collection of technical ideas
What Sets You Apart:
- 10+ years of experience as a Software Engineer with 2+ years of mentoring highly talented and diverse teams of full-stack Software Engineers
- You have previously developed engineering best practices and processes that prioritize excellence in various areas (especially high throughput CI/CD, but also version control, integration testing, team building, etc)
- Experienced at using coding best practices to achieve high business value software and ability to align teams in a technical direction that implements these best practices
- Exceptional software integration and architecture exposure and experience driving a team to aligned technical solutions, including gaining buy-in from dissenting ideas
- Experienced in Agile methodologies and practices
- Collaborated across functions (Product, UX, and other stakeholders)
- Communicated technical information to non-technical audiences and provided clear, concise, and constructive feedback
- Experienced with Ruby on Rails in a high-velocity environment, either MVC or API with SPA (preferred)
- Open to learning new technologies and identifying the best technical solutions for technical challenges
- Ability to support a rapidly growing product that requires both new feature updates while eliminating technical debt
Considering US locations only for this position and time zone requirements may apply in order to address team and business needs.
FiscalNote is the premier information services company focused on global policy and market intelligence. By combining AI technology, expert analysis, and legislative, regulatory, and geopolitical data, FiscalNote is reinventing the way that organizations minimize risk and capitalize on opportunity.
Home to CQ, Roll Call, Oxford Analytica, and VoterVoice, FiscalNote empowers more than 5,000 clients worldwide to monitor, manage, and act on the issues that matter most to them. To learn more about FiscalNote and its family of brands, visit FiscalNote.com
and follow @FiscalNote.
At FiscalNote, we Lead with Values
Know your Audience ∙ Find the Truth ∙ Drive Alignment ∙ Level Up ∙ Own the Job ∙ Bias for Action ∙ Support the Family
FiscalNote is continuing to hire new talent, with all interviewing and on-boarding done virtually due to COVID-19. New team members, along with our current staff, will temporarily work remotely (unless communicated otherwise).
If your background and experience align with the competencies above, we encourage you to apply so that we can review your experience and learn more about how you can add to FiscalNote’s growth and success.
FiscalNote offers competitive salaries, equity packages, and retirement accounts to ensure we’re all FN owners. We work hard, so our open vacation policy helps us ensure you’re getting the R&R you need. We offer comprehensive health, vision, and dental insurance options supplemented by a flexible spending account (FSA). We have a slew of other benefits which you can check out at careers.FiscalNote.com
FiscalNote values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. FiscalNote is an EEOC employer.
FiscalNote uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all new employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.DHS.gov/E-Verify