Poll Everywhere is looking for a Ruby on Rails Engineer to help us in our transition from a collection of Single Page Applications to a Ruby on Rails application that uses Hotwire to question old assumptions and rethink how modern real-time web applications work. Join us in this exciting time and help drastically simplify our systems as we work through applying this new technology. Our tech stack includes Ruby on Rails 7, Hotwire, TailwindCSS, Google Material Design, MySQL, AWS, and Kubernetes.
Engineering at Poll Everywhere is highly cross-collaborative in nature. You can expect to work cross-functionally with Product Managers on product strategy, with Designers on usability, accessibility, and aesthetics, and to maintain a high bar for quality with our QA team. You’ll participate in each stage of the project lifecycle including planning, architecture, execution, documentation, and following up with success metrics.
At Poll Everywhere we’re serious about helping our engineers meet their career goals. We have a long history of seeking out growth opportunities aligned with individual interests and promoting internally often. Whether it's leading a project, establishing an elegant pattern to solve a common problem, or refining an interface so users can get their work done more quickly and enjoyably, we'll find the right team for you. Poll Everywhere has an excellent track record of being a place to deepen your product development and engineering skills.
Poll Everywhere is looking forward to a refreshed mission to make presentations more inclusive. We believe that having our product in use at more of the 17 billion meetings a year in the F1000 would change those organizations through the inclusion of more voices. Our platform enables presenters to create interactive questions, word clouds, discussions, and competitions that their audience can respond to using any device. Founded in 2008, we now support millions of users worldwide from educational institutions to household companies such as Google, AT&T, and Target.
- Migrate from Single Page Applications that duplicate responsibilities between the client and server to applications that focus on developer happiness, productivity, and a single source of truth using Rails and Hotwire. Think critically about how these tools fundamentally change how our applications are structured.
- Reuse our web application across a broad landscape of presentation tools. We integrate deeply with PowerPoint, Keynote, Google Slides, Webex, Slack, and Microsoft Teams.
- Build fast, reliable, accessible, real-time web applications.
- Write maintainable automated tests, avoiding both false positives and false negatives. TDD and BDD are welcome here.
- Ruby on Rails full-stack web application development.
- Develop models to interact with the database and represent our business domain
- Develop controllers to process requests from web browsers
- Develop views to present and format information from the database, using modern tools like Hotwire to send that information over the wire as HTML.
- Optimize performance-sensitive workflows to support audiences of thousands participating at once.
- Develop real-time experiences in parts of the codebase that need to be most dynamic
- Develop accessible UI
🎙️ Our zero mystery interview philosophy
- No mystery, no surprises, no hidden criteria! We know how nerve-wracking interviews can be and we want to set you up for success by clearly outlining the skills we want you to be ready to showcase throughout our interview process.
- 2+ years of experience building production scale web applications using Ruby on Rails. Presenters trust our software in front of thousands of participants. Performant code is the difference between our customers feeling a direct connection with their audience and feeling embarrassed on-stage.
- 2+ years experience with MySQL or a similar relational database
- Awareness of secure coding practices and the importance of incorporating these practices in your work.
👩🏻💻 Preferred Experience
- Microsoft Office plugins (especially PowerPoint)
- Stimulus.js for user interactions
- Connection to the Ruby on Rails community
- Google Material Design for interactive components
- Atomic CSS frameworks like TailwindCSS for consistency and layout
- WebSockets and time-sensitive workloads
- Enhancing accessibility using tools like axe
- Designing optimized database schemas
- Optimizing page rendering times using tools like Lighthouse
💝 From us to you!
- $150/month internet & personal cell phone reimbursement
- Monthly coffee and or tea subscription
- $1,000 annual self-development budget + 2 additional days of PTO
- $500 work from home stipend to get you set up for 2022 ($200 annual WFH stipend for all PollEvians after their first year)
- Once we are able to safely reunite as an entire company, we will resume our biannual company retreats and quarterly visits for remote employees.
Our users come from all kinds of communities, and so do PollEvians. We want to work with great people from a wide variety of backgrounds who put a lot of care and pride into their work. We're committed to providing you with opportunities to learn, and we’re looking to hire people with good judgment.
If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications or check off all the boxes, you should still seriously consider applying. An important part of our interview process is understanding why this position and our mission particularly resonated with you.
Keep applications brief; we want small resumes with relevant experience. Principals only, please. We aren't using contingency staffing agencies at the moment. Poll Everywhere is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.