Who We Are:
At Bark, we’re doing something special to make the digital world a safer place for children. Our work isn't just another job; it's a chance to make a real impact on the lives of children and families.
Imagine using cutting-edge machine learning to empower parents to partner with their kids, providing them with the tools and alerts they need to ensure their child's safety and well-being in the digital realm. We're tackling critical issues like social media, bullying, sexting, body image, online predators, drugs, signs of depression, and more.
Our team is a tight-knit group of passionate engineers, and we're eager to grow and build awesome stuff together. We believe that empathy is a core job skill, and our multicultural, inclusive team embodies this value. Whether or not you're a parent, you understand the importance of protecting and nurturing the young minds that navigate the online world - because you were once a child too.
As a Senior Product Engineer at Bark, you won't just be a part of the team; you'll be entrusted with the autonomy to build systems that span a wide variety of technologies. You'll take ownership and be accountable for the health and performance of these systems, knowing that your work directly contributes to the safety and well-being of children and families.
If the prospect of being a part of something truly amazing and meaningful excites you, we want to talk to you! Apply now, and let's make a difference together. Your skills and passion can help shape the future!
What you can look forward to:
- Building product features from start to finish covering everything from front end to back end, systems, reporting, administration, and security.
- Safeguard sensitive personal data with the utmost care and protection, because we're dedicated to our users and their families.
- Collaborate with a team that treasures impact over code perfection.
- Building on our primary Rails applications with robust but practical test suites while exploring exciting projects for iOS, Android, Desktop, embedded systems, and more.
- Leave your enterprise experience at the door (or bring it along, we won't judge), and strike the perfect balance between Getting Stuff Done (GSD) and planning for future growth.
- Embrace our experimentation platform and ship early to learn, adapt, and keep the innovation flowing.
- Work from home, with flexible hours that support a healthy work-life balance for you and your family while staying connected with the rest of the team.
- Engage in thought-provoking debates with your colleagues. We value strong, informed opinions that are open to growth and learning.
- Share your knowledge by mentoring others in areas where you excel, while also seeking mentorship to further develop your skills.
- Participate in collaborative code reviews, with a focus on shipping and making incremental improvements for long-term value.
- Show your personality! Share your interests, habits, tools, perspectives, music, adventures, and anything else that excites you in our standups and semi-weekly Scooby Dooby Doos (not a stand-up, it's where we learn together).
- Take part in our on-call rotation. It's all paws on deck!
- Several years leading complex projects in any modern framework (We’re on Rails but anyone can learn that).
- Turn vague ideas into concrete features and architect entire solutions that make their way to production.
- Know how to code well in multiple languages with deep knowledge of at least one (prepare for a friendly test).
- Deep familiarity with how the web works from the browser to the server, database, caching, external systems and APIs.
- Manage your time and communicate actively to collaborate with internal and external teams with minimal hand-holding.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience operating in AWS. We take advantage of many of their systems and want to use the right tool for the job and avoid building it when we can.
- SQL query analysis and optimization skills.
- Native iOS experience. We use an embedded WebView for the bulk of the product but have some native integrations as well that we’d like to improve on.
- Eye for product and design.
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Equity stake in Bark
- Paid Time Off Policy
- Paid sick time
- Benefits provided by Justworks. (We partner with Justworks, a Professional Employer Organization (PEO), to offer benefits packages for employees and their families.)
- Healthcare Support
- On-Demand Primary Care
- Online Mental Health Therapy
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Voluntary Long-term and Short-term Disability Insurance
Please be sure to add email@example.com to your contact list to ensure delivery of all correspondence from us.