Legal.io is building the world’s leading enterprise marketplace for legal talent and technology. We help in-house legal departments hire legal professionals for temporary and permanent roles, and move the careers of our members forward by connecting them to opportunities, data and each other so they can excel in their field.
We’re looking for an outstanding Web Developer (Ruby/Rails) who is passionate about using technology and to fuel growth, increase efficiency, and meet major challenges in an exciting industry. This is a full-time remote position at a highly collaborative startup that’s still early in our growth stage (~ 20 people). In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to leave a large footprint and shape the future of legal work at a rapidly growing venture backed legal tech company.
Expected Daily duties:
- Fix bugs
- Code reviews
- Comment on Product Requirements
- Regular Ruby/Rails programming / Test::Unit tests
- Alternating support triage schedule, rotated weekly among all developers
- Able to work in the US and be in the US.
- +/- 3hours from PDT work schedule.
- Min: 7 Years of experience Website development, preferably RoR
- Reliable Internet Service: 50Mbs or better
Requirements and skills:
- Must have skills:
- Proven working experience in web programming
- Intermediate or better: HTML/CSS
- Ruby (v3), Ruby on Rails (v7)
- Test::Unit test
- Mongo aggregation
- Basic Linux commands, bash, etc.
- Basic SEO engine optimization
- Understanding both work load and code scaling issues and issues arising from scaling
- Good caching understanding
- Understanding of FaaS, PaaS
- Bonus skills:
- SOC2 experience; SOC2 Processes Management
- Linux System Administration
- Excellent Offline Communication skills, we primarily use slack and zoom
- A solid understanding of how web applications work including security and best development practices
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Integrate data from various back-end services and databases
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs
- Create and maintain software documentation and processes
- Maintaining, expanding, and scaling our site
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into operations and activities
Dependent on Cost of Living/location and skill: $140,000 - $200,000
Q: Cover letter?
A: No. All resumes will be reviewed and processed by a human. Due to the volume of applications; no response means that your resume did not pass initial screening.
Q: What is your general stack?
A: Heroku, RoR 7 (Slim), Redis, Mongo (Mongoid), Bootstrap
Q: Is this a remote position?
A: Yes. You may be asked to come for a team get together or major project planning.
Q: Functional programming? Rspec?
A: No. We are: OOP, Patterns, Procedural, Test::Unit.
Q: What is the support schedule and after hours workload like?
A: Being on support means triage or handling bugs reported by staff or software. This is rotated weekly among staff. A couple of times a year, usually around Christmas or other times as needed; we will have after hours major upgrades that require that the entire site to be shut down. Usually; Major upgrades of software (OS, Mongo, Ruby on Rails) and other activities that have a high risk of "ops". In the last year, we've had about 3 unscheduled events and 4 planned ones.
Q: What is the work/home life balance like?
A: You are expected to work 40/hours a week. If you work more hours one week, then you can work less hours the next week. There may be extra times of work; we seek to minimize those. Everyone has 2 weeks of minimum time off.
Recruiters: Any resumes submitted to us will be gratefully accepted. Acceptance of a resume does not mean acceptance of any contract; IE: Thank you for the free lead!